Silver Mine Signage Clean-Up

on
Alan on site at the Silver Mine.
Alan on site at the Silver Mine.

A working bee in isolation: Alan Hall for The Friends of the Upper Morwell River cleaned up the hard to read, lichen-encrusted signage put in place by Hancock Victoria Plantations and the Boolarra Historical Society several years ago. Note: work was done before any COVID-19 restrictions on movement.
The signage text (on both sides) reads: “[Morwell River Silver Mine] Operated at this site from approx. 1882 to 1914 on an alluvial deposit of silver ore. It supported 8 families who lived on the now defunct Morwell River Prison site where they ran a market garden. The ore was transported by steam powered barge down the river to Boolarra for processing & refinement, then on to Melbourne for sale. Small samples of the ore can be seen as dark lines running through rocks taken from the cliff base.”